Junior publication designer (fixed-term role for six months)
About the role
We are looking for a junior designer to join the experienced and friendly design team in our Whitechapel studio.
In this role, you will be expected to apply the full range of publication design skills, from typography to infographic development.
As this is a junior role, you will be reporting to one of our senior designers, who will also help you to develop your practice and to understand our ways of working.
Once you’ve found your feet, you can expect to work on a variety of concurrent projects, often developing the brief and acting as the main point of contact for the client.
This appointment is initially for six months, but with the possibility to extend this, dependent on the successful candidate’s performance and sustained demand for our publication design services.
About the agency
Soapbox produces a range of creative outputs, including print publications, infographics, branding, animation, websites and other digital products. We work hand in hand with our clients – mostly think tanks, research organisations and NGOs – to help them find the best ways to communicate their knowledge and ideas.
We are a close-knit, hardworking and ambitious team. We expect all our staff to act autonomously and take responsibility for their own projects – with support when they need it, of course – so they can feel a personal sense of accomplishment when they successfully complete a piece of work.
Designing print publications of all shapes and sizes has been at the core of our practice for the last decade. We are looking for a talented all-round designer at the beginning of their career who has a particular interest in developing their skills in this area.
Lots of designers profess a love of type, but this role is for someone with an excellent grasp of the principles that underlie great typography, and who cares as much as we do about the details that make for a beautifully designed publication
You will have an excellent command of written and spoken English and you should have the confidence to explain and justify design decisions to the client and your colleagues.
And if, on top of all this, you can demonstrate an interest in current affairs, public policy or cutting-edge research, that would be the cherry on the cake.
– Engaging with clients and colleagues to ensure that the brief for individual jobs and projects is clearly defined and understood.
– Working efficiently to execute design work of a very high standard that clearly meets these briefs.
– Supporting other designers in carrying out their work, including deputising for more senior colleagues.
– Assisting colleagues as required in quoting for design, and in marketing and pitching for work, as well as contributing to the strategy and creative vision for the agency.
– Contributing to the continuous improvement of the agency’s practices, with a particular emphasis on publication design.
– Keeping up with current trends and innovations in design and other relevant fields, and enhancing existing or learning new skills, as part of his or her own continuing professional development.
– Undergraduate degree in graphic design or a similar discipline
– Superb Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop skills
– Excellent command of written English and exceptional attention to detail
– Demonstrable professional experience as a designer
– An interest in current affairs, public policy and open data
– Experience of working in a customer-facing role
– Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Suite products
We offer a competitive salary and a good benefits package with some great perks, including:
– 34 days holiday per year (pro rata, including public holidays)
– A strong emphasis on learning on the job and professional development
– Weekly fruit delivery, snacks and drinks in the studio.
– Regular (voluntary!) social activities.
– Flexible working around core hours.
If the appointment is extended, the holder will also have access to our cycle-to-work and pension schemes.
How to apply
If that sounds appealing, email your CV, a covering letter and a PDF portfolio of relevant work to firstname.lastname@example.org